Car icon Out-of-State Titles

Motor vehicles, motorboats, ATVs, minibikes and UTVs coming into Nebraska from another state, unless they fall into the category of Vehicles Exempt From Titling or Motorboats Exempt From Titling, are required to obtain a Nebraska Certificate of Title.

To obtain a title, the following documentation, properly assigned , must be surrendered to a County Treasurer office (refer to Motor Vehicle Offices Listing):

  • Proof of Ownership in the form of:
    • Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) or Importer's Certificate for new vehicles
    • Certificate of Title from vehicle's previous location for used vehicles
    • Vehicles last registration and a Bill of Sale for used vehicles if previous location was not a title issuing state
    • Vehicle's registered by the U.S. Military: U.S. Military Registration Document
    • Vehicles sold by the U.S. Government: U.S. Department of State Certificate of Title
    • Vehicles registered in a foreign country: a current Registration Certificate and/or a Bill of Sale, foreign country ownership documents and import papers
    • Court Order
  • Application for Certificate of Title
  • $10.00 title fee. Please contact the County Treasurer for information regarding acceptable methods of payment
  • Sheriff's Inspection (refer to Vehicle Inspections)
  • If a transfer of ownership is occurring at the same time, the seller must also provide the buyer with a  Bill of Sale or a completed Nebraska Department of Revenue Form 6 - Nebraska Sales/Use Tax and Tire Fee Statement for Motor Vehicle And Trailer Sales. (NOTE: Nebraska Department of Revenue Form 6 is not available for download from the Department of Motor Vehicles website. It may be obtained by contacting the Nebraska Department of Revenue or any County Treasurer.)

The County Treasurer retains all documentation presented for title issuance. Once documentation has been verified, a Nebraska Certificate of Title will be issued.


Questions regarding Out-of-State Titles may be addressed by email or by phone at (402) 471-3918.