You must have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) to operate:
- Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
- A combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
- A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver).
- Any size vehicle which requires hazardous material placards or is carrying material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR part 73. Federal regulations through the Department of Homeland Security require a background check and fingerprinting for the Hazardous Materials endorsement. Contact your local department of driver licensing for more information.
Commercial Driver's License Details
Minimum Age: Class A, B, or C – 21 years old (interstate), 18 years old (intrastate)
Expiration: Licenses issued to individuals under the age of 21 expire on the license holder’s 21st birthday. Licenses issued to individuals 21 or older expire on the license holder’s birthday in the fifth year after issuance. Licenses with hazardous materials endorsement expire when the security threat assessment expires. For applicants surrendering an out-of-state license with the hazardous materials endorsement on it, the renewal period established in the preceding state shall be the expiration of the Nebraska license.
- You may request a replacement/renewal in person at any Driver Licensing Office.
- You will need to present primary identification.
- Applicants who haven’t previously provided proof of U.S. citizenship will need to provide proper documentation.
- If you need to change or update your address, you will need to present two forms of address verification.
General Information Regarding Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDLs) And Commercial Learner’s Permits (CLPs)
- Applicants applying for Commercial Learner’s Permits (CLPs) and Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDLs) are required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful status.
- When applying for a CLP or CDL, individuals will be required to certify to the DMV what type of operation they engage in (see CDL Self Certification Chart). In addition, if certifying as Category A: Interstate – Non-Excepted, drivers are required to provide the DMV with a current copy of their medical examiner’s certificate (card – not long form) and keep it current with the DMV.
- In order to take skills tests for a CDL, drivers must first have a CLP and hold it for at least 14 days.
- If a CLP expires and all three segments (pre-trip vehicle inspection, basic controls skills and road test) of the skills test have not been passed, any skills tests previously passed are invalid and ALL skills testing must be retaken.
- CLPs will have a class and may have endorsements and restrictions. CLPs require all applicable written tests be passed as a condition of issuance.
Keep your address current with the Department of Motor Vehicles to ensure you receive all mailings.
If you have kept your address current with the DMV, you will receive a renewal notice. Please bring renewal notice with you to the driver licensing office prior to the expiration of your document. Complete the CDL Data Form. Determine the self-certification category (A-D) that applies to you using the CDL Self Certification Chart. If you certify as Category A: Interstate – Non-Excepted, you must provide a current copy of your medical examiner’s certificate (card – not long form) to driver licensing staff at the time of renewal and keep current with DMV at all times.
Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles, Driver Licensing Services
P.O. Box 94726
Lincoln, NE 68509
402-471-3157 (faxed copies)
firstname.lastname@example.org (scanned copies)
Commercial and Restricted Commercial License Fees
|Type of Document||Fee||Security Surcharge||Total|
|Valid for 5 years||$55.00||$2.50||$57.50|
|Valid for more than 3 years but not more than 4 years*||$44.00||$2.50/td>||$46.50|
|Valid for more than 2 years but not more than 3 years*||$33.00||$2.50||$35.50|
|Valid for more than 1 year but not more than 2 years*||$22.00||$2.50||$24.50|
|Valid for 1 year or less*||$11.00||$2.50||$13.50|
|Bioptic or telescopic lens restriction:|
|Valid for more than 1 year but not more than 2 years||$22.00||$2.50||$24.50|
|Valid for 1 year or less||$11.00||$2.50||$13.50|
|Change of class, endorsement or restriction||$10.00||$2.50||$12.50|
* Licenses, permits and state identification cards must be issued for a full 5 year period unless:
- license, permit or ID card was issued to an individual who is not yet 21 years of age, but will be 21 years of age less than 5 years from the date of issuance resulting in the license, permit or ID card being valid for less than the full 5 year period;
- license or permit has a bioptic or telescoptic restriction (renewal is required yearly);
- CDL holder with Hazardous Material endorsement (expiration date is based on date of Security Threat Assessment);
- the applicant is presenting a USCIS document (the expiration of the Nebraska document will be tied to the expiration date of the USCIS document);