The goal of the Driver Licensing Services division is to ensure that persons who meet Nebraska licensing standards and requirements are issued an operator’s license and those meeting Identification requirements are issued a state Identification card. It is also our goal to provide service to the public in a way that is fair, consistent and helpful.
The following documents are issued by the Department:
For more information regarding specific identification requirements or testing requirements for each document, refer to the Nebraska Driver's Manual
- School Learner's Permit (LPE)
- Learner’s Permit (LPD)
- School Permit (SCP)
- Provisional Operator’s Permit (POP)
- Operator's License (LIC)
- Motorcycle License (Class M)
- Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP)
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
- Restricted CDL (RCDL)
- Seasonal Permit (SEP)
- Farm Husbandry Permits (FHP)
- State Identification Card (ID)
All applicants for any type of Nebraska document listed above are required to be verified through their issuing agencies. These systems are:
- State to State (S2S) - this system verifies any pointers (licensing documents or State ID Cards) issued in another state, including Commercial Driver Licenses issued. If a record is found in any other state that indicates a valid license and/or State ID Card is held by the applicant for Nebraska document, once the Nebraska document is issued, those out of state documents become void and the other state is notified of Nebraska issuance. This system also allows the driving record from the previous state to be pulled to the Nebraska driver history upon issuance.
- Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS) - this system verifies if anyone has their privilege to operate a vehicle suspended, revoked or cancelled.
- Social Security Online Verification (SSOLV) - this system verifies social security numbers of applicants. The Department of Motor Vehicles requires new and renewal driver license and State ID Card applicants to provide a valid social security number or a valid US Citizenship and Immigration Services I-94 document (in a valid foreign passport). If the applicant is unable to do so the driver license or State ID Card is denied. The Department of Motor Vehicles utilizes an Interactive Driver's License System. One component of this system verifies the applicants' social security numbers through the Social Security Administration. This has proved to be an effective tool in fraudulent document/identity verification for the Department. All Social Security numbers will be verified thru the Social Security Administration prior to the issuance of a Nebraska permit, license or State Identification Card. Always bring proof of your Social Security number with you to the Driver Licensing office. Please refer to Identification/Address/SS Verification requirements. for acceptable Social Security Verification documents.
- Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) - this system verifies all United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents for validity and expiration periods.
- U.S. Passport Verification - this system verifies all U.S. Passports through the Department of State.