Tire icon Restricted CDL (RCDL)

A Restricted Commercial Driver’s License (RCDL) held in conjunction with a Seasonal Permit (SEP) allows a Nebraska resident to drive a Class B or C commercial motor vehicle for purposes of farm related or farm related service industry within 150 miles of employer’s place of business or the farm or ranch currently being served. Employees working for the following farm related or ranch related service industries may be issued RCDL’s: Custom Harvesters, Retail Agricultural Outlet or Supplier, Agricultural Chemical Business, Livestock Feeders.


You may request a replacement/renewal in person at any Driver Licensing Office.

  • You will need to present primary identification. 
  • If you need to change or update your address, you will need to present two forms of address verification.

Age, Eligibility and Issuance Periods:

Must be 18 or older, shall possess a valid operator’s license (Nebraska or out-of-state) or Nebraska POP.  The document or combination of documents must have been held during the 12 months immediately preceding application date or two years if license/POP has been held that long and must meet all driving record requirements as outlined in Nebraska Statute 60-4,146.01 which are found below. Note: out-of-state driving records may be required to meet the one or two year requirement.  These out-of-state driving records must be dated within the last 30 days.

Have possessed a valid operator’s license for two or more years, and that in the immediate two-year period:


Have possessed a valid operator’s license for more than one year, but less than two years and that for the entire driving history:         

  1. Have not possessed more than one operator’s license at any one time;
  2. Have not had any operator’s license suspended, revoked or cancelled;
  3. Have not been convicted in any type of motor vehicle for any of the following offenses:
    • Driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance;
    • Leaving the scene of an accident;
    • Commission of a felony involving the use of a motor vehicle;
    • Refused a chemical test of blood, breath or urine or had a .04 alcohol concentration (in a CMV).
    • Driving a CMV while CDL is revoked, suspended, cancelled or disqualified.
    • Causing a fatality through the negligent operation of a CMV.
  4. Have not had more than one (1) conviction, in any type of vehicle, for any    of the Serious Traffic Violations listed below:
  • Speeding at or in excess of 15 miles per hour over the legally posted speed limit;
  • Willful reckless driving or reckless driving;
  • Improper lane change;
  • Following the vehicle ahead too closely;
  • A violation of any law or ordinance related to motor vehicle traffic control, other than parking violations, or overweight or vehicle defect violations, arising in connection with an accident or collision resulting in death to any person;
  • Driving a CMV without obtaining a CDL;
  • Driving a CMV without a CDL in the driver’s possession;
  • Driving a CMV without the proper class of CDL and/or endorsements;
  • Violating a state or local law or ordinance on motor vehicle traffic control prohibiting texting while driving.
  • Violating a state or local law or ordinance on motor vehicle traffic control restricting or prohibiting the use of a hand held mobile telephone while driving a CMV.
  1. Have not been convicted of any violation of state law or local ordinance related to motor vehicle traffic control arising in connection with any traffic accident and have no record of fault accidents.

Commercial and Restricted Commercial License Fees

Type of Document Fee Security Surcharge Total
Valid for 5 years $55.00 $4.50 $59.50
Valid for more than 3 years but not more than 4 years* $44.00 $4.50 $48.50
Valid for more than 2 years but not more than 3 years* $33.00 $4.50 $37.50
Valid for more than 1 year but not more than 2 years* $22.00 $4.50 $26.50
Valid for 1 year or less* $11.00 $4.50 $15.50
Bioptic or telescopic lens restriction:
Valid for 1 year or less $11.00 $4.50 $15.50
Valid for more than 1 year but not more than 2 years $22.00 $4.50 $26.50
Replacement $11.00 $4.50 $15.50
Change of class, endorsement or restriction $10.00 $4.50 $14.50

* Licenses, permits and state identification cards must be issued for a full 5 year period unless:

  • license, permit or ID card was issued to an individual who is not yet 21 years of age, but will be 21 years of age less than 5 years from the date of issuance resulting in the license, permit or ID card being valid for less than the full 5 year period
  • license or permit has a bioptic or telescoptic restriction (renewal is required yearly)
  • CDL holder with Hazardous Material endorsement (expiration date is based on date of Security Threat Assessment)
  • the applicant is presenting a USCIS document (the expiration of the Nebraska document will be tied to the expiration date of the USCIS document)