ID card icon Renewals - Driver's License, Motorcycle and State ID

Renew Online - Online Renewal Considerations for All Users

In most cases you can renew your Class O (car) license, Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class M (motorcycle) or State ID card online when the following conditions are met:

  1. Your name cannot have changed since the issuance of your last permit, license or State ID Card (Document)
  2. Your physical description cannot have changed significantly. The photo and physical description from your current document will be used on your new document.
  3. You may be able to renew your CDL online every other renewal period if your license expires prior to your 72nd birthday, and your Class O or Class M license two consecutive renewal periods if your license expires prior to your 72nd birthday.  You can renew your state ID card online three consecutive renewal periods regardless of your age.
  4. In order to renew your Class O, CDL or Class M license, your license must be expiring prior to your 72nd birthday in order to renew online.
  5. For CDL documents:  you have not obtained more than 2 replacements online within the last 5 years, do not want to change your CDL self-certification category type, do not have Hazmat endorsement.
  6. You have the capability to move from a driver's license to a State ID card online.  IF YOU DO SO AND DESIRE YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE BACK, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO TAKE ALL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS TESTS TO DO SO.
  7. Other exceptions may apply, check the online FAQs to find out what those are.


Renew In Person at the DMV

Find a Driver Licensing Location or review driver licensing hours or closings.

To apply for a renewal a resident must submit the following:

Upon completion of processing and payment of the fee, you will be issued a 30-day receipt, with driving privileges if appropriate. Your driver license, permit or State ID Card will be mailed to you within 20 business days. If you don't receive your license, permit or ID card within 20 days, contact Driver Licensing Services at 402-471-3861.
Please note: Some County Treasurers and the State Driver Licensing Offices in Douglas and Sarpy Counties do not accept checks. Others are not capable of accepting credit card payments. Have cash on hand if in doubt.

Renewal Notification Process

The State Department of Motor Vehicles sends renewal notice postcards to applicants 30 days prior to the expiration of their current operator’s license, commercial driver’s license or state identification card. Please take this renewal notice with you to the driver's licensing office, or save time and renew online. Licenses issued to individuals under 21, expire on the license holder’s 21st birthday. Licenses issued to individuals 21 or older expire on the license holder’s birthday in the fifth year after issuance. Individuals may apply for renewal 60 days prior to their 21st birthday, however, the license will not be valid until 30 days prior to 21st birthday. Individuals 21 and over may renew 90 days prior to their birthday.

Don't like receiving the postcard? Signup for eNotice and receive email or text messages regarding all vehicle renewal notices.


Out-Of State Renewal

Nebraska standard operator's licensed drivers (Class O) that are out of the state during their renewal period (60 days prior to license expiring for those turning 21, 90 days for all other renewals), may apply for renewal, prior to expiration or within one year after expiration of their operators license by mail. You cannot renew a Commercial Driver’s License or Identification Card by mail.  

To make application when you are out of state during the renewal period:

  1. Complete a DMV  Out of State Renewal Data Form.
  2. Complete vision testing requirements
  3. Include a copy of your valid Nebraska driver’s license or Nebraska approved identification as well as two forms of address verification. Refer to ID and Address verifications requirements document
  4. Include your out of state address, telephone number and/or fax number.
  5. Mail this information to the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 94726, Lincoln, NE 68509 or fax to 402-471-4020.

An issuance certificate will then be sent to you. You will be required to sign it, attach the appropriate fee and return it to the Lincoln office. Once payment is received, your 30 day Temporary Driving Receipt will be mailed to the address you have provided. Within 10-14 business days your Nebraska driver's license will be mailed to the address you have provided.

Note: If your driver's license has previously been renewed while out of state and does not have an updated photo, no further out of state renewals will be allowed until you have appeared at a driver licensing office in Nebraska and updated your photo. You may renew your Class O or Class M license two consecutive renewal periods if your license expires prior to your 72nd birthday, using the out of state renewal process.

Early Renewal

Nebraska licensed drivers; 21 years and older, who know they will be out of the state during their renewal period, may apply for renewal of their license (operator's or commercial) prior to their leaving the state. They may be asked to provide proof that they will not be in the state during renewal period, and all standard testing requirements would be followed for their renewal. Contact the Driver Licensing Services main office for details.

Military Renewal

There are special driver’s licensing rules if you are on active duty in the military and stationed outside of Nebraska as well as renewing in person upon your return to Nebraska. These rules also apply to family members of active duty military personnel. There is a Military Exemption process or you can chose to keep your license current by renewing by mail or online if possible. If you are in the state of Nebraska, you will follow the regular In-State Renewal process listed above. If you are stationed out of the state of Nebraska and wish to keep your license current you can renew online, by mail, following the Out-Of-State Renewal process listed above, as well as including one of the following: a) copy of your current orders, b) copy of your leave papers, c) copy of your discharge papers, valid for 60 days after discharge, or d) military ID card.

You will be required to prove Nebraska residency, even if stationed outside of Nebraska. If you no longer have a physical Nebraska resident address, you will need to provide a current LES statement showing taxes paid to Nebraska and then two proofs of resident address for the state you are now residing in, or APO/FPO address.