ID card icon School Learner's Permit (LPE)

The School Learner's Permit (LPE) is issued for the purpose of allowing a student to legally practice driving for a School Permit. Individuals applying for a LPE must be eligible for a School Permit and meet all School Permit criteria.

You must be accompanied by a licensed motor vehicle driver at least 21 years old who occupies the seat beside the driver. Motorcyclists must be accompanied by a licensed motorcycle operator at least 21 years old within visual contact. In the case of an autocycle 1 operator, the permit holder must be occupying the seat beside or in front of the licensed operator.

When applying for your School Learner's Permit you must bring the following documentation to the DMV: 

  1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Status, containing Name and Date of Birth, and Identity.

  2. Principal Address in Nebraska (at least two documents are required).

  3. Applicants must disclose their valid social security number which can be verified through the Social Security Administration or show proof of exemption from the requirement by presenting a valid, unexpired Record of Arrival and Departure in a valid foreign passport (I-94 or I-94A).

Scared to let your teen start driving?

young teen driving car with father in the pasenger seat covering his eyes in fear

Safe teen driving begins with you.

Minimum Age


You may not apply for a School Learner's Permit before your 14th birthday.


Vision and written tests.


Six months following the date of issuance.


  • If you are graduating to the next permit (School Permit or Provisional Operator’s Permit) you may apply online.
    • The DMV must have received your waiver from Driver’s Education electronically.
  • You may also request a replacement/renewal in person at any Driver Licensing Office.
    • If changing your address is part of the renewal, you will need to present two forms of address verification.

School Learner’s Permit (LPE) Fees

Type of Document Fee Security Surcharge Total
Original $8.00 $5.00 $13.00
Replacement $11.00 $5.00 $16.00
Change of class, endorsement or restriction $5.00 $5.00 $10.00