The School Learner's Permit (LPE) is issued for the purpose of allowing a student to legally practice driving for a School Permit. Individuals applying for a LPE must be eligible for a School Permit and meet all School Permit criteria.
You must be accompanied by a licensed motor vehicle driver at least 21 years old who occupies the seat beside the driver. Motorcyclists must be accompanied by a licensed motorcycle operator at least 21 years old within visual contact. In the case of an autocycle 1 operator, the permit holder must be occupying the seat beside or in front of the licensed operator.
When applying for your School Lerner's Permit you must bring the following documentation to the DMV:
- One form of primary identification
- Two documents to verify residential address
- See a full list of acceptable items: Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles Identification/Address/Social Security Verification
You may not apply for a School Learner's Permit before your 14th birthday.
Vision and written tests.
Three months following the date of issuance.
- If you are graduating to the next permit (School Permit or Provisional Operator’s Permit) you may apply online.
- The DMV must have received your waiver from Driver’s Education electronically.
- You may also request a replacement/renewal in person at any Driver Licensing Office.
- If changing your address is part of the renewal, you will need to present two forms of address verification.
School Learner’s Permit (LPE) Fees
|Type of Document||Fee||Security Surcharge||Total|
|Change of class, endorsement or restriction||$5.00||$2.50||$7.50|