Any person who is a resident of the state of Nebraska may obtain a State Identification (ID) card with a color photograph of the person included.
When applying for your initial State Identification card you must bring the following documentation to the DMV:
Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Status, containing Name and Date of Birth, and Identity.
Principal Address in Nebraska (at least two documents are required).
Applicants must disclose their valid social security number which can be verified through the Social Security Administration or show proof of exemption from the requirement by presenting a valid, unexpired Record of Arrival and Departure in a valid foreign passport (I-94 or I-94A).
- See a full list of Document Verification Requirements acceptable items.
NOTE: No person shall be a holder of an operator's license and a state identification card at the same time, per state statute 60-484.
You are eligible to Renew online if:
- Your name hasn't changed since the issuance of your last license.
- Your physical description hasn't changed significantly. (The photo and physical description from your current document will be used on your new document.)
- You did not renew online during your last renewal. You are able to renew your documents online only once every 10 years.
- Other exceptions may apply, please check Frequently Asked Questions to find out what those are.
You may also renew in person at any Driver Licensing Office.
- If changing address as part of the renewal, you will need to present two forms of address verification.
Sample ID Card
Sample ID Card Minor
State Identification Card Fees
|Type of Document||Fee||Security Surcharge||Total|
|Valid for 5 years||$24.00||$5.00||$29.00|
|Valid for more than 4 years for a person under 21*||$24.00||$5.00||$29.00|
|Valid for more than 3 years but not more than 4 years*||$19.00||$5.00||$24.00|
|Valid for more than 2 years but not more than 3 years*||$14.00||$5.00||$19.00|
|Valid for more than 1 year but not more than 2 years*||$10.00||$5.00||$15.00|
|Valid for 1 year or less*||$5.00||$5.00||$10.00|
*Licenses, permits and state identification cards must be issued for a full 5 year period unless:
- license, permit or ID card was issued to an individual who is not yet 21 years of age, but will be 21 years of age less than 5 years from the date of issuance resulting in the license, permit or ID card being valid for less than the full 5 year period;
- license or permit has a bioptic or telescoptic restriction (renewal is required yearly);
- CDL holder with Hazardous Material endorsement (expiration date is based on date of Security Threat Assessment);
- the applicant is presenting a USCIS document (the expiration of the Nebraska document will be tied to the expiration date of the USCIS document);