Checkbox icon Failure to Comply with a Traffic Ticket


Your operator’s license and/or operating privileges can be suspended for failure to take care of a traffic (ticket) citation in Nebraska or from any other state.


Reinstatement Requirements

All requirements listed below must be submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Financial Responsibility Office in Lincoln (located in the State Office Building at 301 Centennial Mall South) prior to reinstatement:

  1. Contact the court of jurisdiction for the following information (click here for telephone numbers/addresses for Nebraska County Courts):
    • The amount of the fine and costs you are required to pay
    • The form of payment they require (money order, cashier’s check, etc.)
    • Information on where to send the payment
    • To determine if you can sign a waiver or if you must appear in court
    • How to get a receipt for your payment
  2. Comply with the citation. Nebraska waiverable citations or citations that you have already been to court for, can be paid online by by using a credit/debit card with a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover card logo, or entering your bank account information (eCheck) as payment. Transactions will incur an additional charge of $1.25 to $2.95.
  1. Provide the DMV with a Notice of Compliance or Receipt from the court of jurisdiction as proof that you have taken care of the ticket/citation. If the compliance is not submitted electronically (only Nebraska County Courts can file electronically), the documentation must show court case number and/or citation number, date of compliance and must be signed by the Clerk of the Court.
  2. Pay a $50.00 reinstatement fee. Payment must be in the form of a cashier’s check or money order made payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles; or you can pay reinstatement fee online. When submitting payment by mail, include identifying information (i.e. name, date of birth, license or social security number and current mailing address). Payment submitted by personal or business checks or not for the required amount will be returned.



If the Notice of Compliance or Receipt from the court shows the ticket/citation was taken care of on or prior to the date you were suspended, the suspension will be withdrawn from your record. Or, if the ticket/citation has been paid and five (5) years have passed since the effective date of suspension for that ticket/citation, the reinstatement fee will not be required.