Checkbox icon Unsatisfied Judgement Suspensions


If you have been involved in an accident (or are the owner of a vehicle involved in an accident or parent/guardian/spouse of someone involved in an accident) and fail to make restitution – the other party can file a judgment against you in court. If the court renders the judgment against you, they give you 30 days to appeal their decision and 60 days to satisfy the judgment. If the judgment is not satisfied within that 90-day time frame, the court will forward a certified copy of the transcript of judgment to the Department of Motor Vehicles. At that time, the Department will suspend the operator’s license and/or operating privileges of the individual(s) named on the judgment.


Reinstatement Requirements

You must submit the following requirements to the Department of Motor Vehicles, 301 Centennial Mall South, P.O. Box 94877, Lincoln, NE 68509-4877 or fax to (402) 471-8288:

NOTE: Requirements cannot be submitted to your local Driver License Exam Station

  1. Provide Proof of Satisfaction of Judgment.  Satisfaction can be in the form of a Release Form for Property Damage/Injury (which would include all damages and/or injuries incurred in the accident) or an  Installment Agreement Form showing you are making payments (to include all damages and/or injuries incurred in the accident).  The Release or Agreement document must be “filed” with the court of jurisdiction and you will need to ask the court for a “certified” copy (some courts have a small fee for certification).
  2. File proof of future financial responsibility. This is normally provided in the form of a SR-22 Certificate of InsuranceThe SR-22 cannot be faxed.
  3. Pay a $50.00 reinstatement fee. Payment must be in the form of a cashier’s check or money order made payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles or be paid online. When submitting payment by mail, include identifying information (i.e. name, date of birth, license or social security number and current mailing address). Payment submitted by personal or business checks or not for the required amount will be returned.



If the proof of satisfaction of judgment (i.e. release, agreement, etc.) indicates you made arrangements for restitution prior to the effective date of suspension, the SR-22 Certificate of Insurance and the reinstatement fee will not be required.