Tire icon CDL Documentation Requirements

When applying for a Nebraska Commercial Driver License (CDL) or Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), you must present documentation of:

  1. Valid U.S. Citizenship or Proof of Lawful Status and U.S. Based Identity containing Name and Date of Birth.
  2. Current Principal Address in Nebraska
  3. Applicants must disclose their valid social security number.
  4. If Category A - Interstate - Non-Excepted - Valid Medical Certification Card
  5. Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT). Beginning 2/7/2022, any driver applying for a new CDL, upgrading class of CDL or adding the P, S and/or H endorsements is required to have completed ELDT. The Nebraska DMV will verify proof of ELDT electronically. If you previously have held a CDL with similar class and/or endorsements from another state, you must provide proof (i.e. driver’s abstract) to the examiner. Further information on ELDT requirements is available here: https://dmv.nebraska.gov/cdl/ELDT


  • All commercial motor vehicle applicants must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Status on or after July 8, 2015. Once U.S. citizenship has been verified, proof need not be presented again. Proof of lawful status is required to be presented upon the initial visit to a driver licensing office and all subsequent visits.
  • Proof of identification must be presented at each visit. The digital image (photo) retained by DMV cannot be used as proof of identification.
  • When possible, documents/information presented will be verified for authenticity before being accepted.
  • Documents must be certified with a raised seal or stamp.
  • Faxed or photocopied documents will NOT be accepted.
  • Documents are subject to departmental review and approval. Additional information may be required.
  • In some cases, document approval may not occur on the same day and may require an additional visit to the driver licensing office.
  • Any document which states “NOT TO BE USED FOR PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION” will not be accepted for identity verification purposes.
  • The Department may retain copies of any document presented.


1. Valid U.S. Citizenship or Proof of Lawful Status and U.S. Based Identity

Present One U.S. Based document to establish citizenship or proof of lawful status and One U.S. Based document to prove identityNote: #1 - #9 documents can be used to meet requirements for both purposes. Document #10 can be used for proof of U.S. based identity only. 
In the event of a name change, you must present one document (certified marriage license, certified divorce decree or court order) that links your new name to the name that currently exists on your license or permit. Lawful Status applicants may use a petition of Name Change.

  1. A certified birth certificate issued by a State Government Office. Individuals presenting city or county birth certificates may be asked to provide additional identification documents. Hospital issued birth certificates cannot be accepted nor can Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to September 30, 2010.
  2. A valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
  3. Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570.
  4. Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-451.
  5. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the U.S. Department of State, Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545.
  6. A valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (I-551).
  7. A valid, unexpired ADIT stamp “Processed for I-551, temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent resident until ________” in a valid foreign passport. After June 28, 2004 printed statement “Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Resident for 1 Year” in a valid foreign passport, providing the proper placement of an admission stamp.
  8. A valid, unexpired Employment Authorization Card (I-766).
  9. A valid, unexpired Record of Arrival and Departure in a valid foreign passport (I-94 or I-94A). If you have a current I-797 for any I-94 status, you may want to show this to help simplify the process. Visas, Form I-151, I-94W or I-94 Border Crosser will not be accepted.

Proof of Identity Only:

  1. A valid Real ID compliant Nebraska or out-of-state permit, operator’s license or State ID Card (must have Real ID indicator on it), as long as the document is not mutilated or altered.


2. Principal Address Verification

Present TWO documents with your Nebraska principal address listed. A P.O. Box will not be accepted as proof of principal address. Proof of principal address must be from two different issuing sources.

  1. Account statement from a bank or other financial institution issued within the last 90 days.
  2. Pay stub or earnings statement issued within the last 90 days with the name and address of the employer.
  3. Federal, state or local government documents, issued within the last 90 days such as receipts.
  4. Magazines issued within the last 90 days.
  5. Any envelope, box or postcard that has been sent indicating a postmark or stamped date within the last 90 days.
  6. Any correspondence, receipt, invoice dated within the last 90 days.
  7. Valid Nebraska vehicle registration.
  8. Valid life, health, auto or home insurance policy or card.
  9. Valid real estate tax statement or receipt.
  10. Any valid license (driver’s, nursing, law, teaching, hair, fishing, etc.).
  11. Nebraska voter registration card.
  12. Mortgage, lease or rental agreement. (Lease and rental agreements must include the landlord’s name and contact information.)
  13. Nebraska DMV Renewal Notice.
  14. Blank check or deposit slip.


3. A Social Security Number (SSN) is Required for all Applicants

(There is no exemption for SSN for CDL drivers.)


4. Class A - Interstate - Non-Excepted Only - Medical Certification

All individuals applying for or holding a Nebraska Commercial Driver’s License are required to certify to the DMV what type of operation they engage in. If certifying as Category A: Interstate – Non Excepted, drivers are required to provide the DMV with a current copy of their medical examiner’s certificate (card – not long form) and keep current with the DMV.Medical examiner’s certificates (cards – not long forms) should be sent to:

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles, Driver Licensing Services
P.O. Box 94726
Lincoln, NE 68509
402-471-3157 (faxed copies)
Dmv.exam-medcert@nebraska.gov (scanned copy)

After May 21, 2014, all Category A: Interstate - Non-Excepted drivers must have their medical examination performed by a certified medical examiner listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners. To find a certified medical examiner, go to the National Registry website.

Download the CDL Self Certification chart that will assist in determining how to certify.