If you entered into a written Installment Agreement to either prevent suspension or reinstate a suspension for an accident you were involved in and you fail to make the required payments – you will be suspended upon receipt of the notice indicating you are in default.
Proof of Financial Responsibility Options
To reinstate your Nebraska operating privileges for a Default in Payment suspension, you will need to submit one (or a combination of) the following items:
Deposit security in amount determined, which is specified on the Notice of Suspension sent to you. (This deposit can only be accepted for one (1) year from the date of suspension for Default in Payment. Payment of the security deposit needs to be in the form of a cashier’s check or money order made payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles (we cannot accept credit or debit card payments for payment of the security deposit). This office does not accept personal or business account checks. You can pay cash if you are in the office.
If you have made restitution in full - submit a Release Form for Property Damage/Injury to include all damages and/or injuries incurred in the accident. If the release was entered into with the other parties insurance company or attorney, it will need to include their representative’s signature, the title of their position, and indicate the name of the individual(s) they represent. All signatures are required to be either notarized or witnessed by a non-interested party.
Other Release Forms That Are Available:
- Release Form for Parent/Guardian of a Minor – to be used when there is an injury to a minor child
- Release Form for No Claims Filed – to be used when the other party(s) are not requiring you to make restitution
- Release Form for One/Two Year Affidavit – to be used when it has been at least two (2) years since the date of accident and no judgments have been filed in court against you for the accident
Agreement (Payment Plan)
If you are making payment to the other party – submit a written Installment Agreement Form to include all damages and/or injuries incurred in the accident. The agreement must specify the dollar amount agreed upon, the number of payments to be made, the date payments began and the dollar amount of each payment. If the Agreement/Promissory Note was entered into with the other parties insurance company or attorney, it will need to include their representative’s signature, the title of their position, and indicate the name of the individual(s) they represent. All signatures are required to be either notarized or witnessed by a non-interested party.
You must submit the following requirements to the Department of Motor Vehicles, 301 Centennial Mall South, P.O. Box 94877, Lincoln, NE 68509-4877 or fax to (402) 471-8288:
Note: Requirements cannot be submitted to your local Driver License Exam Station
- Provide Proof of Financial Responsibility as described above.
- File Proof of Financial Responsibility. This is normally provided in the form of a SR-22 Certificate of Insurance. The SR-22 cannot be faxed.
- Pay a $50.00 reinstatement fee. Payment must be in the form of a cashier’s check or money order made payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles or be paid online. When submitting payment, include identifying information (i.e. name, date of birth, license or social security number and current mailing address). Payment submitted by personal or business checks or not for the required amount will be returned.
If the proof of financial responsibility for the Default in Payment (i.e. release, agreement, etc.) indicates you made arrangements for restitution prior to the effective date of suspension, the SR-22 Certificate of Insurance and the $50.00 reinstatement fee will not be required.