~ WELCOME TO NEBRASKA ~
We hope that the following information about how to title and register your motor vehicle will help to make the transition to your new home here in Nebraska as smooth as possible.
Motor Vehicles are titled and registered on the county level in the State of Nebraska. Individuals have 30 days after arriving in Nebraska to obtain a Nebraska title and registration for their vehicles.
Obtaining a Nebraska issued Certificate of Title
To obtain a Nebraska issued Certificate of Title, you will need to present the following documentation to the County Motor Vehicle Office in the county where you will reside:
- Your current Certificate of Title
- If your current title is being held by a lien holder or lessor you will need to contact your County Motor Vehicle Office to initiate a request for your out-of-state title from your lien holder/lessor. The office will send a letter to the lien holder/lessor requesting the current title be sent to their office. You may also want to contact your lender/lessor to determine if they have a specific process/form for requesting the title.
- A completed Application for Certificate of Title
- Proof of current valid insurance (proof must be in the form of an original document)
- The most recent issued registration certificate (pink slip)
- Appropriate fees and taxes (you may obtain an estimate by contacting your County Motor Vehicle Office - you will need to provide the VIN). You will also want to confirm acceptable methods of payment.
The first step is the vehicle inspection. Most motor vehicle office locations have an inspection station on site except for Douglas County which only has one inspection station. The vehicle inspection station for Douglas County is located at the Midtown Branch Office - 411 North 84th Street. The fee for a Sheriff's Inspection is $10.00.
Upon completion of the inspection you will be given an Inspection Certificate...this will be presented, along with the your current Certificate of Title and the Application for Certificate of Title, for issuance of the Nebraska Certificate of Title. The fee for issuance of a title is $10.00 or $17.00 if there is a lien noted on the title.
Additional information on Certificates of Title may be found on our website at: https://dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/mvtitles
Additional information on Vehicle Inspections may be found on our website at: https://dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/title/vehicle-inspection
Any additional questions regarding Certificates of Title may be addressed by email or by phone at (402) 471-3918.
Registration of your Vehicle
Once the Nebraska Certificate of Title has been issued you may register the vehicle.
Registration will require you to present the following documentation to the County Motor Vehicle Office in the county where you reside:
- Your most currently issued registration certificate (pink slip most likely issued by your previous state of residence).
- If the vehicle is leased, you will need to present a copy of the signed lease agreement at the time of registration.
- Proof of current valid insurance (must be in the form of an original or electronic document).
- Appropriate fees and taxes (you may obtain an estimate by contacting the County Motor Vehicle Office in the County where you will be registering your vehicle or by using the Vehicle Tax Estimator available under the Vehicle tab at: https://dmv.nebraska.gov/services). You will also want to confirm acceptable methods of payment.
You may find additional information on Vehicle Registration on our website at: https://dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/reg/mvreg
Information on Nebraska insurance requirements may be found via our website at: https://dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/ins-req
Additional questions regarding vehicle registration may be addressed by email or by phone at (402) 471-3918.