The Learner's Permit (LPD) is issued to allow a person to legally practice driving for a Provisional Operator’s Permit (POP), Operator’s (Class O) or Motorcycle (Class M) License. Learner's Permit holders must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old.
When applying for your Learner's Permit you must bring the following documentation to the DMV:
Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Status, containing Name and Date of Birth, and Identity.
Principal Address in Nebraska (at least two documents are required).
Applicants must disclose their valid social security number which can be verified through the Social Security Administration or show proof of exemption from the requirement by presenting a valid, unexpired Record of Arrival and Departure in a valid foreign passport (I-94 or I-94A).
- See a full list of Document Verification Requirements acceptable items.
You may apply 60 days before 15th birthday. However, the Learner's Permit cannot be issued until the day of your 15th birthday or after your 15th birthday.
Permit holder must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 occupying the seat beside the driver. Motorcyclists must be accompanied by a licensed motorcycle operator who is at least 21 within visual contact. In the case of an autocycle operator, the permit holder must be occupying the seat beside or behind the licensed operator.
Vision and written tests are required. The written test will be waived if a school learner’s permit (LPE), school permit (SCP) or learner’s permit (LPD) has been issued that is valid or has been expired for no more than one year.
One year following the date of issuance.
- If you are graduating to the next permit (School Permit or Provisional Operator’s Permit) you may apply online.
- The DMV must have received your waiver from Driver’s Education electronically.
- You may also request a replacement/renewal in person at any Driver Licensing Office.
- If changing your address is part of the renewal, you will need to present two forms of address verification.
Learner’s Permit (LPD) Fees
|Type of Document||Fee||Security Surcharge||Total|
|Change of class, endorsement or restriction||$5.00||$4.50||$9.50|