Car icon Motorboat Certificate of Title

A Certificate of Title is required for all motorboats manufactured after November 1, 1972 unless the motorboat falls under the specific category of Motorboats Exempt from Titling. If you are attempting to title a motor vehicle, please refer to Certificate of Title – Motor Vehicle.

The Certificate of Title serves as proof of ownership and only one title is allowed to be issued and in existence at any one time for the same motorboat.

Titles are issued on the county level. There are 93 counties in Nebraska. To determine the title issuing site for your county, refer to the County Officials Listing.

To obtain a Certificate of Title the motorboat must be located, used or required to be registered in Nebraska. The applicant must submit a completed  Application for Certificate of Title signed by all parties whose names are to appear on the title. The only exception to this are titles to be held by spouses, in which case either, acting as an agent for the other, may sign the application. If the applicant is an out-of-state resident an out-of-state address may be used on the application for title.

A fee of $10.00, payable to the County Treasurer, and proper evidence of ownership must accompany the application for title.

Proper evidence of ownership is one of the following:

  • Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO)
  • Certificate of Title – properly assigned

If you purchased the motorboat and were not provided with the appropriate documents to provide evidence of ownership, you may be eligible for a Bonded Certificate of Title.

The County Treasurer retains all evidence of ownership.

All motorboats are required to have a 12 digit Hull Identification Number. If your boat does not, you must make application to this office for an Assigned ID Number. Motorboats are exempt from Sheriff’s Inspection.

If the motorboat is coming into Nebraska from another state, please refer to the section on Out-of-State Titles.

Refer to the section on Liens for lien information. For information regarding boat registration, refer to the Games and Parks Commission.


Manufacturer Codes


Questions regarding Certificates of Title for Motorboats may be addressed by email or by phone at 402-471-3918.