ID card icon Name Change - Driver's License, Motorcycle and State ID

Name changes can't be updated online.  Apply at any Driver Licensing Office if you have had a name change.

To apply for a replacement Driver's License, Permit or State Identification Card, a resident must submit the following:

  • Acceptable Proof of Identification - Nebraska requires one form of identification that includes name and date of birth to obtain a replacement driver license, permit or State ID Card.
  • Evidence of your name change: 
    • Certified documents such as a marriage license, divorce decree or a court order. The documentation that you present must enable the driver licensing staff to tie the two names together.
    • Note: In order to change any other name, besides the last name, when using a marriage license, the full legal name prior to marriage and the full legal name after marriage must be on the marriage license.
  • Complete a data form,  Operators License-ID data form at a driver licensing office.
  • Two forms of proof of address (If address has not previously been verified, or if you have moved). Acceptable proof of address may be found at: Identification/Address/SS Verification Requirements.
  • If applicable, you will also be required to meet DMV vision and medical requirements.
  • The appropriate License Fees.Upon completion of processing and payment of the fee, the County Treasurer or Driver License Service Center (in Douglas and Sarpy Counties) will issue you a 30-day receipt, with driving privileges if appropriate. Your driver license, permit or State ID Card will be mailed to you within 14 business days. If you don't receive your license, permit or ID card within 20 days, contact Driver Licensing Services at 402-471-3861.

Once a replacement document has been issued, the previously issued document is invalid and cannot be used as proof of identification.