An assembled ATV, minibike or UTV is an ATV, minibike or UTV that has been materially altered from its construction by the removal, addition or substitution of a new or used major component part.
A major component part is defined as one of the following:
- Engine (Motor) - with or without accessories
- Nose - that portion of the body from the front to the firewall when acquired or transferred as a complete unit (§60-125)
- Frame that portion of an ATV, minibike or UTV upon which other components are affixed, such as the engine, body or transmission (§60-116)
- Body that portion of an ATV, minibike or UTV that determines its shape and appearance and is attached to the frame but does not include the box or bed of a truck (§60-105)
Once the ATV, minibike or UTV has been completely assembled a Vehicle Inspection and an Assigned ID Number is required prior to issuance of a title. The ATV, minibike or UTV and the required supporting documentation must be presented to the local County Sheriff for an inspection which includes an examination of the ATV, minibike or UTV, notation of the current odometer reading and a comparison of the VINs. To pass inspection, the VIN on the documentation must be found on the ATV, minibike or UTV.
- A Certificate of Title for one or more major component part
- An MSO for one or more major component parts
- Affidavit by the owner affirming ownership
- Last registration and notarized a Bill of Sale for one or more major component part if previous location was not a title issuing state
- Notarized Bill of Sale for all major component parts or a Parts Vehicle Bill of Sale for all major component parts
- Sworn Affidavit attesting to the fact that the Assigned ID Number has been properly affixed to the ATV, minibike or UTV
- The title for an assembled ATV or minibike will show “Assembled” as the make and the year will be the year the ATV or minibike was assembled
The fee for the Sheriff’s Inspection is $10.00. The Sheriff’s Inspection expires 90 days from the date of the inspection.
An Assigned ID Number Application, along with a $20.00 fee, photocopies of all supporting documentation and the original of the Sheriff’s Inspection Certificate must be submitted to the Driver and Vehicle Records Division of the Department of Motor Vehicles. Once the Assigned ID Number plate is manufactured it is mailed directly to the name on the Assigned ID Number application, along with instructions for the appropriate placement of the VIN plate on the ATV, minibike or UTV.
Also included will be an Affidavit that must be signed and presented to the County Treasurer attesting to the fact that the VIN has been properly affixed to the ATV, minibike or UTV. After all required documentation is submitted, the County Treasurer will issue the title.
To obtain a Certificate of Title for an assembled ATV, minibike or UTV the supporting documentation must be surrendered to the County Treasurer along with an Application for Certificate of Title. The fee for issuance of a Certificate of Title is $10.00. Please contact your County Treasurer for information regarding acceptable methods of payment.
Questions regarding Assembled ATVs, Minibikes or UTVs may be addressed by email or by phone at (402) 471-3918.