All motor vehicles and trailers used upon the highways and roads of the State of Nebraska must be registered unless the vehicle falls under the specific category of Vehicles Exempt From Registration.
Vehicles in Nebraska are registered in the county where the vehicle has situs, which means in the county where the vehicle is housed majority of the time. Newly purchased vehicles must be registered, and sales tax paid, within 30 days of the date of purchase.
To obtain information regarding specific registration fees and taxes you may contact the County Treasurer in your county of legal residence or you may obtain an estimate by entering the required information in the Motor Vehicle Tax Estimator. You are strongly urged to contact your County Treasurer's office for information regarding acceptable methods of payment.
For information about how registration fees and taxes are calculated, refer to Registration Fees and Taxes.
Vehicles are registered on a monthly, staggered basis. The registration expiration date is determined by the month the vehicle was purchased. However, owners of two or more vehicles may register their vehicles on a calendar-year basis (January to December), or on an annual basis for the same registration period beginning in the month chosen by the owner.
Vehicles to be registered for the first time may be registered either in person or by mail. For first time registration, the following documents must be presented to the County Treasurer:
- Proof of Financial Responsibility (Insurance). Proof must be in the form of an original document. Photocopies are not acceptable. For specific information regarding Financial Responsibility, refer to Insurance Requirements;
- Proof that sales or excise tax has been paid;
- A copy of the signed lease agreement, if the vehicle is a leased vehicle.
Motor vehicle registrations may be renewed either online at Online Registration Renewal, by mail or in person. The following documents must be presented to the County Treasurer if your are renewing by mail or in person:
- Registration document that is expiring;
- Proof of Financial Responsibility (Insurance). Proof must be in the form of an original document. Photocopies are not acceptable. For specific information regarding Financial Responsibility, refer to Insurance Requirements. (Note: Proof of Financial Responsibility for those who renew their registrations using the Online Registration Renewal, is verified using the Insurance Database);
After all documentation has been verified and the appropriate fees paid, you will be issued a registration certificate, license plates and validation tabs. If you are registering or renewing your registration by mail or online, these items will be sent to you by mail.
It is not required that the registration certificate be displayed so as to be visible from outside the vehicle, however, the certificate, as well as Proof of Financial Responsibility, must be carried in the vehicle at all times.
If you are the owner of a commercial plated vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating, gross combination weight rating, gross vehicle weight, or gross combination weight over ten thousand (10,000) lbs or a farm vehicle over sixteen (16) ton you are required to read the Truck Safety Registration Declaration form. After reading the Declaration, you will be asked to sign the registration indicating you have reviewed and understand the Declaration.
Refer to Snowmobile Registration for procedures to register this type of vehicle.
To register an apportioned vehicle (vehicles over 26,000 pounds that cross state lines), contact the Department of Motor Vehicles, Motor Carrier Services.
If you are registering a motorboat, contact the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.
Questions regarding Vehicle Registration may be addressed by email or by phone at (402) 471-3918.