Support The Arts Plates are available with a message of your choice or with a Department designated alpha/numeric combination.
There is no limit to the number of eligible vehicles owned by an individual that may be registered with a Support The Arts plate.
Support The Arts Message Plates - $40.00*
These plates are produced with an available message of your choice.
The distribution of the $40.00 fee is as follows:
- 75% ($30.00) to the Support the Arts Cash Fund
- 25% ($10.00) to the DMV Cash Fund
Support The Arts Alpha/Numeric Plates - $5.00*
The distribution of the $5.00 fee is as follows:
- 100% ($5.00) to the Support the Arts Cash Fund
These plates are assigned an alpha/numeric combination by the Department of Motor Vehicles. The alpha/numeric combination is issued in consecutive order in the order in which the applications are received. Requests for specific alpha/numeric combinations cannot be accepted.
*The fee is due at the time of initial application and again at each annual renewal. The plates are renewed in the month of the vehicle's registration renewal.
We cannot honor a change of plate and or message choice or request for refund after the application has been processed.
Please allow at least 4 to 5 weeks for the plates to arrive at your County Treasurer Motor Vehicle Office.
Apply for Support The Arts Plates
Selecting a Message
If submitting your application by mail, you will be asked to submit multiple message selections. Be very sure that each choice you submit is acceptable to you. Your first choice, if available and approved, will be processed. If your first choice is not available or is denied we will automatically move on to processing your second choice. Once your application has been processed, your message choice can not be changed and no refunds will be issued.
- Maximum of 5 characters allowed.
- Alpha and numeric characters only. All alpha characters are printed in upper case. No punctuation marks or symbols such as slashes, periods, apostrophes or other such symbols are allowed.(Exception: County Message plates available only to residents of Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy Counties and must indicate placement of hyphen.)
- Messages that conflict with present numbering system or a valid set of plates currently registered, will not be processed. Due to the issuance of alpha/numeric plates in some counties, messages containing three alpha followed by three numeric characters (ABC 123) cannot be processed, regardless of spacing.
- Messages determined by the DMV to express, connote or imply objectionable, obscene or offensive words or phrases will not be processed. You are required to complete the section on the application indicating the meaning of your message. Applications received without an explanation of the meaning of the message may be returned to you unprocessed.
- Message availability may be checked on our Online Specialty Plate System by following the steps below:
- select the appropriate vehicle on the Vehicle Type screen (click “Continue”);
- select the appropriate type of specialty plate by clicking on the radial button next the correct image (click "Continue");
- select the type of plate from the drop down menu;
- type in the message you wish to order; (Note: There is no guarantee when a choice shows available that it is the message you will receive.)
Completing a Specialty Plate Application
Before submitting your application for a Message plate, you must have a Nebraska Certificate of Title in your name on the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased your leasing company must have a Nebraska Certificate of Title in their name on the vehicle. Applicants who are non-resident military must submit a copy of the vehicle’s registration and your name must appear on that registration. The most common reason for an application to be rejected is the applicant has not obtained the appropriate Nebraska title or included appropriate proof of lease or non-resident military ownership.
Registered Owner Information Section
- Name(s)of the registered owner(s)of the vehicle
- Address (city and zip code)
- Email Address(optional)
- Daytime phone number where the applicant can be reached during regular business hours (8:00 am to 5:00 pm CST).
Vehicle Type Section
- Indicate vehicle type (i.e. passenger, motorcycle, autocycle or trailer)
Vehicle Information Section
- Vehicle Identification Number (please be very sure that this number is correct)
- Vehicle Make (i.e. Chevrolet, Ford, Nissan,Toyota,etc)
- Vehicle Year
- Vehicle Model
- Vehicle Body type
- County in Nebraska in which the vehicle is currently titled/registered
- County number designation (i.e. 1 – Douglas, 2 – Lancaster, 3 – Gage, etc.)
- Current license plate number
- Title number
- Indicate whether or not the vehicle is leased. If leased, indicate name of leasing company.
Plate Type Section
- Indicate on your application by checking the appropriate box the type of plates for which you are applying (i.e. Message plate).
If Submitting your Application by Mail
Be sure to enclose a check or money order made out to the "Department of Motor Vehicles" with the appropriate plate fee for your specialty plate.
We cannot honor a change of choice or request for refund after the application has been processed. A $30.00 processing fee will be added to all returned checks.
Applications by mail should be submitted, along with the appropriate fee, to:
Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles Driver and Vehicle Records Division
301 Centennial Mall South
PO Box 94789
After your application has been processed and your message plate approved (if applicable), you will receive an approval letter by U.S. Postal Service first class mail (Note: if you apply online you will receive an email confirmation prior to your approval letter). The approval letter will indicate the approved message (if applicable), and the date the plates will be available at your County Treasurer’s office for you to register to your vehicle. In addition, the letter will have your County Treasurer’s telephone number to verify the Treasurer has received the plates. You must surrender your current plates and registration when your Specialty plates are registered. The cost of a Specialty plate is due at the time of initial application and again annually in the same month as the vehicle registration. Additional fees for production of the license plates and new registration will be charged. You should allow 4 to 5 weeks for the plates to arrive at your County Treasurer’s office.
Questions regarding Specialty Plates may be addressed by E-Mail or phone at 402.471.3918