Any person who is a resident of the state of Nebraska may obtain a State Identification (ID) card with a color photograph of the person included.
When applying for your intial State Identification card you must bring the following documentation to the DMV:
- One form of primary identification
- Two documents to verify residential address
- See a full list of acceptable items: Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles Identification/Address/Social Security Verification
NOTE: No person shall be a holder of an operator's license and a state identification card at the same time, per state statute 60-484.
You are eligible to Renew online if:
- Your name hasn't changed since the issuance of your last license.
- Your physical description hasn't changed significantly. (The photo and physical description from your current document will be used on your new document.)
- You did not renew online during your last renewal. You are able to renew your documents online only once every 10 years.
- Other exceptions may apply, please check Frequently Asked Questions to find out what those are.
You may also renew in person at any Driver Licensing Office.
- If changing address as part of the renewal, you will need to present two forms of address verification.
Sample ID Card
Sample ID Card Minor
State Identification Card Fees
|Type of Document||Fee||Security Surcharge||Total|
|Valid for 5 years||$24.00||$2.50||$26.50|
|Valid for more than 4 years for a person under 21*||$24.00||$2.50||$26.50|
|Valid for more than 3 years but not more than 4 years*||$19.00||$2.50||$21.50|
|Valid for more than 2 years but not more than 3 years*||$14.00||$2.50||$16.50|
|Valid for more than 1 year but not more than 2 years*||$10.00||$2.50||$12.50|
|Valid for 1 year or less*||$5.00||$2.50||$7.50|
*Licenses, permits and state identification cards must be issued for a full 5 year period unless:
- license, permit or ID card was issued to an individual who is not yet 21 years of age, but will be 21 years of age less than 5 years from the date of issuance resulting in the license, permit or ID card being valid for less than the full 5 year period;
- license or permit has a bioptic or telescoptic restriction (renewal is required yearly);
- CDL holder with Hazardous Material endorsement (expiration date is based on date of Security Threat Assessment);
- the applicant is presenting a USCIS document (the expiration of the Nebraska document will be tied to the expiration date of the USCIS document);