ID card icon Farm Husbandry Permits (FHP) Special and Temporary

A Farm Husbandry Permit authorizes the operation of minitrucks and farm husbandry equipment.

  • Farm husbandry equipment is defined as off road vehicles designed for agricultural, horticultural or livestock-raising operations or for lifting or carrying an implement of husbandry.
  • A minitruck is defined as a foreign manufactured import vehicle or domestic manufactured vehicle which:
    • Has an engine of one thousand five hundred cc’s or less,
    • Is 67 inches or less in width,
    • Has a dry weight of 4,200 pounds or less,
    • Travels on four or more tires,
    • Has a top speed of approximately 55 miles per hour,
    • Is equipped with a bed or compartment for hauling,
    • Has an enclosed passenger cab,
    • Is equipped with headlights, taillights, turn signals, windshield wipers, a rearview mirror and an occupant protection system, and
    • Has a fourspeed, five-speed or automatic transmission.

When applying for your Farm Husbandry Permit you must bring the following documentation to the DMV: 

Minimum Age

13 if you live on a farm or 14 if employed on a farm for compensation.


Temporary and Special: vision, written and drive tests. A tractor written and a tractor (Class O) drive are required. If the applicant is stating they drive a mini truck, a Class O written and drive test are required. If they do not drive a mini truck, a “Z – no mini truck” restriction will be placed on the FHP. A county extension course completion certificate will waive the tractor written and drive tests.


Temporary; six months from date of issuance; Special: 16th birthday. Temporary Permits are non-renewable

Farm Husbandry Permits (Special and Temporary) Fees

Type of Document Fee Security Surcharge Total
Original $5.00 $2.50 $7.50
Replacement $5.00 $2.50 $7.50
Temporary $5.00 $2.50 $7.50
Change of class, endorsement or restriction $5.00 $2.50 $7.50