Those who want to express their individuality and/or wish to support the University of Nebraska Athletic program can create their own unique license plate by making application for a Husker Spirit Message or Husker Numeric plate in place of a regular county issued license plate.
Husker Spirit Message Plates - Fee: $70.00
Go Big Red! These plates have an exclusive Husker design, and can be produced with an available message of your choice. Available to motor vehicles, motorcycles, autocycles, trailers, semitrailers and cabin trailers.
Husker Spirit Numeric Plates - Fee: $70.00
These plates have an exclusive Husker design, but are numbered and issued in consecutive numeric order. Available to motor vehicles, motorcycles, autocycles, trailers, semitrailers and cabin trailers. These plates are issued in consecutive numeric order in the order in which the applications are received. Requests for specific numbers cannot be processed.
The distribution of the $70.00 fee is as follows:
- 60% ($42.00) to the Department of Motor Vehicles Cash Fund
- 40% ($28.00) to the Highway Trust Fund
Apply for Husker Plates
Selecting a Message
If submitting your application by mail, you will be asked to submit multiple message selections. Be very sure that each choice you submit is acceptable to you. Your first choice, if available and approved, will be processed. If your first choice is not available or is denied we will automatically move on to processing your second choice. Once your application has been processed, your message choice can not be changed and no refunds will be issued.
- Maximum of 7 characters allowed for motor vehicles. Maximum of 6 characters for a motorcycle or autocycle plate. Eight positions are provided to allow for one space if the maximum numbers of characters are used in the message. (Note: A character cannot be substituted for this space.) Your message choice will be centered on the plate unless you specify otherwise.
- Alpha and numeric characters only. All alpha characters are printed in upper case. No punctuation marks or symbols such as slashes, periods, apostrophes or other such symbols are allowed.(Exception: County Message and Commercial plates available only to residents of Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy Counties and must indicate placement of hyphen.)
- Messages that conflict with present numbering system or a valid set of plates currently registered, will not be processed. Due to the issuance of alpha/numeric plates in some counties, messages containing three alpha followed by three numeric characters (ABC 123) cannot be processed, regardless of spacing.
- Messages determined by the DMV to express, connote or imply objectionable, obscene or offensive words or phrases will not be processed. You are required to complete the section on the application indicating the meaning of your message. Applications received without an explanation of the meaning of the message may be returned to you unprocessed.
- Message availability may be checked on our Online Specialty Plate System by following the steps below:
- select the appropriate vehicle on the Vehicle Type screen (click “Continue”);
- select the appropriate type of specialty plate by clicking on the radial button next the correct image (click "Continue");
- select the type of plate from the drop down menu;
- type in the message you wish to order; (Note: There is no guarantee when a choice shows available that it is the message you will receive.)
Completing a Specialty Plate Application
Before submitting your application for a Message plate, you must have a Nebraska Certificate of Title in your name on the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased your leasing company must have a Nebraska Certificate of Title in their name on the vehicle. Applicants who are non-resident military must submit a copy of the vehicle’s registration and your name must appear on that registration. The most common reason for an application to be rejected is the applicant has not obtained the appropriate Nebraska title or included appropriate proof of lease or non-resident military ownership.
Registered Owner Information Section
- Name(s)of the registered owner(s)of the vehicle
- Address (city and zip code)
- Email Address(optional)
- Daytime phone number where the applicant can be reached during regular business hours (8:00 am to 5:00 pm CST).
Vehicle Type Section
- Indicate vehicle type (i.e. passenger, motorcycle, autocycle or trailer)
Vehicle Information Section
- Vehicle Identification Number (please be very sure that this number is correct)
- Vehicle Make (i.e. Chevrolet, Ford, Nissan,Toyota,etc)
- Vehicle Year
- Vehicle Model
- Vehicle Body type
- County in Nebraska in which the vehicle is currently titled/registered
- County number designation (i.e. 1 – Douglas, 2 – Lancaster, 3 – Gage, etc.)
- Current license plate number
- Title number
- Indicate whether or not the vehicle is leased. If leased, indicate name of leasing company.
Plate Type Section
- Indicate on your application by checking the appropriate box the type of plates for which you are applying (i.e. Message plate).
If Submitting your Application by Mail
Be sure to enclose a check or money order made out to the "Department of Motor Vehicles" with the appropriate plate fee for your specialty plate.
We cannot honor a change of choice or request for refund after the application has been processed. A $30.00 processing fee will be added to all returned checks.
Applications by mail should be submitted, along with the appropriate fee, to:
Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles Driver and Vehicle Records Division
301 Centennial Mall South
PO Box 94789
Lincoln, NE 68509-4789
After your application has been processed and your message plate approved (if applicable), you will receive an approval letter by U.S. Postal Service first class mail (Note: if you apply online you will receive an email confirmation prior to your approval letter). The approval letter will indicate the approved message (if applicable), and the date the plates will be available at your County Treasurer’s office for you to register to your vehicle. In addition, the letter will have your County Treasurer’s telephone number to verify the Treasurer has received the plates. You must surrender your current plates and registration when your Specialty plates are registered. The cost of a Specialty plate is due at the time of initial application and again annually in the same month as the vehicle registration. Additional fees for production of the license plates and new registration will be charged. You should allow 4 to 5 weeks for the plates to arrive at your County Treasurer’s office.
Questions regarding Specialty Plates may be addressed by email or phone at 402.471.3918