Car icon Disabled American Veteran Plates

Disabled American Veteran license plates are issued in lieu of regular plates and may be placed on motor vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, semitrailers and cabin trailers.

Applicants must have a Nebraska Certificate of Title issued in their name, or in the event the vehicle is leased or non-resident military, the name of the applicant must appear on the registration of the vehicle.

To request Disabled American Veteran license plates, the applicant must be eligible for, and enrolled in, the Nebraska Veteran's Registry through the Nebraska Department of Veteran's Affairs and have served (with an honorable or general under honorable conditions discharge/separation) and is 100% service-connected disabled.

Once enrolled in the Nebraska Veteran's Registry,you may order Disabled American Veteran license plates online.

Once the application has been processed, the applicant will receive notification from the Department of Motor Vehicles advising them of the date their plate will be available at their County Treasurer's office to be registered to their vehicle.

All appropriate registration fees and taxes apply and must be paid to the County Treasurer in the county where the vehicle is registered.

Disabled American Veteran License Plates do not allow the registered owner to park in spaces designated for handicapped parking. To park in a space designated for handicapped parking Handicapped License Plates or a Handicapped Parking Permit is required.

There is no limit to the number of motor vehicles or trailers owned or leased by the applicant that may be licensed with a Disabled American Veteran license plate.  Separate application processes are required for each Disabled American Veteran license plate requested.

In lieu of ordering online, a completed application may be submitted to:

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver and Vehicle Records Division
PO Box 94789
Lincoln, NE 68509-4789

Please allow at least 4 - 5 weeks for the plates to arrive at your County Treasurer Motor Vehicle Office.


Disabled Veteran Motor Vehicle Tax Exemption

Approval of an application for a Disabled American Veterans License Plate is not related to the disabled veteran motor vehicle tax exemption.

The disabled veteran motor vehicle tax exemption is available for one motor vehicle owned and used for his or her personal transportation by a disabled or blind veteran of the United States Armed Forces.

For purposes of the motor vehicle tax exemption, disabled is defined as a veteran who has lost the use of or has undergone amputation of two or more extremities or has undergone amputation of one or more extremities and has lost the use of one or more extremities; and blind is defined as a veteran whose sight is so impaired as to seriously limit his ability to engage in the ordinary vocations and activities of life.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs must recognize the veteran's disability or blindness and the veteran must have been discharged or otherwise separated with a characterization of honorable or general (under honorable conditions).

Veterans who qualify must apply for the motor vehicle tax exemption to the County Treasurer in their county of residence. Those who qualify are encouraged to contact their County Treasurer for more detailed information about the application process.


Questions regarding Specialty Plates may be addressed by email or by phone at (402) 471-3918.