DUI laws allow offenders to waive their right to an Administrative License Revocation (ALR) hearing and apply for an Ignition Interlock Permit (IIP) instead.
To be eligible for the IIP
- You must be a Nebraska resident.
- You must be at least 18 years old and have been issued a license. Provisional Operator's Permit holders are not eligible for the IIP.
- The alcohol violation must have occurred in Nebraska.
- Meet all other applicable reinstatement requirements for any non-alcohol suspension or revocation actions on your Nebraska driving record. Check your Interlock Eligibility online.
- Must serve any required wait periods.
- Cannot have driving privileges removed in any other state/jurisdiction.
If you meet the above requirements, or you need to check your eligibility for the IIP, go online or call the Department of Motor Vehicles at 402-471-3985.
Requirements needed for authorization of the IIP
You must submit the following requirements to the Department of Motor Vehicles, 301 Centennial Mall South, P.O. Box 94877, Lincoln, NE 68509-4877 or fax to (402) 471-8288.
NOTE: Requirements cannot be submitted to your local Driver License Exam Station
- Complete the Ignition Interlock Permit Application online or download the Ignition Interlock Permit (IIP) form to either mail, fax or hand deliver to the address above.
- A court order issued on/after the date of sentencing from a Nebraska court referencing the interlock requirement. The Order must be a CERTIFIED copy from the court which has a notation that states it is a true and exact copy, has the court clerk’s signature and the court seal (which is not the seal next to the Judge’s signature). Some courts may have a small fee for certification. If the court proceedings are completed AFTER the IIP has been issued, please contact this office several days later to see if there are any additional requirements.
- Certificate of installation showing an approved device has been installed for each vehicle you will be operating (device cannot be installed on a Commercial Motor Vehicle). This will be provided by a valid Ignition Interlock Vendor. Providers submit these electronically or you can either mail, fax or hand deliver to address above
- Surrender your Nebraska operator's license/permit to the DOWNTOWN LINCOLN DMV OFFICE ONLY at 301 Centennial Mall South, Lincoln, NE or sign an affidavit of lost license if you no longer have possession of the license which can be faxed to the number above. This does not apply if the license has expired.
- Meet all other applicable reinstatement requirements for any other suspension or revocation actions on your driving record. Check your Interlock Eligibility online.
- Upon receipt of the above-mentioned requirements, the Department will send you the Ignition Interlock Permit Authorization letter. Once authorized, you are required to have the IIP issued in one of the ways listed below
Options for issuance of the IIP after authorization
Go to the Official Nebraska DMV Ignition Interlock Permit Application and follow the instructions for Ignition Interlock Permit.
Note: If you order your permit online, you MUST appear in person at a county treasurer to have a temporary document printed, OR, wait for your permit to come in the mail BEFORE you operate your vehicle equipped with the interlock device.
Present this letter to a Driver License Examiner for the issuance of the Ignition Interlock Permit:
- Be prepared to furnish the examiner with proof of your date of birth, identity, and two (2) documents for principal address verification.
- Complete the required data form and present to the Driver License Examiner
- Upon completion of the Examiner’s requirements, you will be provided an Issuance Certificate that you must present to the County Treasurer
- You will pay the appropriate fees to the County Treasurer who will issue the temporary document to you
Miscellaneous information concerning the IIP
- You cannot legally drive until the permit has been issued to you.
- If the court proceedings are completed AFTER the IIP has been issued, please contact this office several days later to see if there are any additional requirements.
- If the court revoked your driving privileges and you have any vehicles registered in your name only, you will need to have your insurance company file proof of financial responsibility, which is to remain on file at the Nebraska DMV for three (3) years from the date of eligibility for reinstatement – regardless of your state of residence. This is normally provided in the form of a SR-22 Certificate of Insurance.
Visit the Driver Privilege Services application several weeks prior to the expiration date of your Ignition Interlock Permit to determine requirements needed for reinstatement of the revocation.
Ignition Interlock Permit Fees
|Type of Document||Fee||Security Surcharge||Total|
|Change of class, endorsement or restriction||$5.00||$4.50||$9.50|