The Employment Driving Permit (EDP) is authorized by Nebraska State Statute 60-4,129, for a driver who has had their license suspended or revoked for one of the following reasons:
This permit can be used to drive from home to work and return, and strictly in reference to the terms of employment. It cannot be used for shopping, doctor’s appointment, probationary meetings, school (unless school is required and subsidized by employer), etc. All employment drive permits issued indicate the permit is not valid for the operation of any commercial motor vehicle.
The issuance of such permit is based upon meeting all appropriate requirements and certification that the use of the vehicle is required as part of one’s employment and there is no reasonable alternative means of transportation.
Rules applicable only to the EDP available for Violation of a Support Order
- Driver can apply for the permit anytime during the suspension and can be issued only one permit during the suspension period.
- The EDP is valid for three months from the issuance date of the permit and is not renewable.
To be eligible for the EDP
- You must be a Nebraska resident and have tested and been issued a license in any state. Provisional Operator's Permit holders are not eligible for the EDP.
- Your driving privileges must be either revoked under the Nebraska Point System or be suspended in Nebraska for Violating a Support Order.
- Meet all other applicable reinstatement requirements for any other suspension or revocation actions on your Nebraska driving record.
- Cannot have your driving privileges removed in any other state/jurisdiction.
The Director of the Department of Motor Vehicles will Revoke the Employment Driving Permit if a Driver is Convicted of a Violation for which Points are Assessed while holding this permit.
If the permit is revoked in this manner, the individual will not be eligible to receive an Employment Driving Permit for the remainder of the period of suspension or revocation.
Requirements needed for authorization of the EDP
You must submit the following requirements to the Department of Motor Vehicles, 301 Centennial Mall South, P.O. Box 94877, Lincoln, NE 68509-4877 or fax to (402) 471-8288:
NOTE: Requirements cannot be submitted to your local Driver License Exam Station
- An Application For Nebraska Employment Driving Permit for Point Revocation or an Application for Nebraska Employment Driving Permit - Support Order Violation to either mail, fax or hand deliver to the address above. A separate application must be completed for each place of employment.
- Surrender your Nebraska operator's license/permit to the DOWNTOWN LINCOLN DMV OFFICE ONLY at 301 Centennial Mall South, Lincoln, NE or sign an affidavit of lost license if you no longer have possession of the license - which can be faxed to the number above. This does not apply if the license has expired.
- File Proof of Financial Responsibility (this is normally provided in the form of a SR-22 Certificate of Insurance). Or may be given by one of the following:
- By filing with the Department of Motor Vehicles, a written certificate of insurance from any insurance company duly authorized to do business in the State of Nebraska, certifying that there is in effect a motor vehicle liability policy for the benefit of the person required to furnish the proof of financial responsibility. The certificate of insurance is identified by form SR-22. We are not permitted to accept your policy or a binder as being the proper identification of your proof of financial responsibility.
- A Bond of a Surety Company duly authorized to transact business within the State of Nebraska or a bond with at least two individual sureties who each own real estate within the State of Nebraska which real estate shall be scheduled in the bond approved by a Judge or a court of record. This said bond shall be conditioned for the payment of the amounts specified in sub-section 10 in Section 60-501 ($75,000.00).
- A Cash bond in the amount of $75,000.00 furnished by a certified check, bank draft, or money order.
- A certificate of self-insurance.
- Within 60 days of authorization of the EDP for Point Revocations – you must complete an eight (8) hour Driver Improvement Course Approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles and the school will electronically submit the certificate of completion.
- Meet all other applicable reinstatement requirements for any other suspension or revocation actions on your driving record.
Upon receipt of the above-mentioned requirements, the application will be reviewed (the Department must meet all statutory requirements in review and evaluation of the application) and the Department must be able to confirm employment by telephone. If all requirements are met, the Department will send you the Employment Drive Permit Authorization letter. Once authorized, you are required to have the EDP issued:
- Present the authorization letter to a Driver License Examiner for the issuance of the EDP
- Be prepared to furnish the examiner with proof of your date of birth, identity, and two (2) documents for principal address verification.
- Complete the required data form and present to the Driver License Examiner
- Upon completion of the Examiner’s requirements, you will be provided an Issuance Certificate that you must present to the County Treasurer
- You will pay the appropriate fees to the County Treasurer who will issue the temporary document to you
Employment Driving Permit Fees
|Type of Document||Fee||Security Surcharge||Total|
|Change of class, endorsement or restriction||$5.00||$2.50||$7.50|
Employment Drive Permit Suspension
Reinstate Employment Drive Permit Suspension
- If your permit was suspended for failure to take the Defensive Driving Course within 60 days – you must complete the eight (8) hour course and provide this office with a certificate of completion.
- If your permit was suspended for failure to maintain your SR-22 Certificate of Insurance – you must have your insurance company submit a new filing. If you were also required to maintain the SR-22 for a prior suspension/revocation – you will need to pay a $50.00 reinstatement fee. Payment of the reinstatement fee needs to be in the form of a cashier’s check, bank draft, money order made payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles. This office does not accept personal or business account checks.
- If your permit was suspended because a new suspension or revocation was placed on your record – you will need to meet the reinstatement requirements for the new suspension or revocation.
If the SR-22 Certificate of Insurance indicates you had insurance prior to the effective date of suspension, the reinstatement fee will not be required.
Employment Drive Permit Revocation
Your Employment Drive Permit will be revoked if you are issued a citation where points are assessed against you after the permit was issued.
Reinstatement of Employment Drive Permit Revocation
This revocation is not eligible for reinstatement or issuance of any additional employment drive permit for that particular license revocation.