Car icon Motor Vehicles Exempt From Registration

All motor vehicles and trailers used upon the highways and roads of the State of Nebraska must be registered, with the following exceptions:

  • Off-road vehicles including, but not limited to:
    • ATV
    • UTV
    • Electric Personal Assistive Devices
    • Electric Scooters
    • Garden tractors
    • Golf carts
    • Golf car vehicles
    • Go-carts
    • Minibikes
    • Mopeds
    • Riding lawn mowers
  • Vehicles which run on rails or tracks;
  • Farm tractors;
  • Self-propelled equipment designed and used exclusively to carry and apply fertilizer, chemicals, or related products to agricultural soil and crops;
  • Agricultural floater-spreader implements and other implements of husbandry designed for and used primarily for tilling the soil and harvesting crops or feeding livestock;
  • Hay spreaders and power unit hay grinders or a combination which includes a power unit and a hay grinder when operated without cargo;
  • Welder if permanently mounted on a device being towed;
  • Pole diggers;
  • Portable scales;
  • Tow dollies and convertor gears;
  • Cabin trailers exceeding 102" in width, 40' in length, or 13.5' in height (exception: if appurtenance extending no more than 6" beyond body is present). This includes Park Model homes;


Road and general purpose construction and maintenance machinery not designed or used for the transportation of persons or property including, but not limited to:

  • Ditch digging apparatus
  • Asphalt spreaders
  • Bucket loaders
  • Leveling graders
  • Earth moving carryalls and equipment
  • Power shovels
  • Crawler tractors


For information regarding boats exempt from registration, refer to Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.


Questions regarding Vehicles Exempt From Registration may be addressed by email or by phone at (402) 471-3918.