ID card icon Driver's License (Class O)

An Operator's License (Class O) Driver's License authorizes a license holder to operate any motor vehicle, including a moped, All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) and autocycle, except a motorcycle and commercial motor vehicle.

Who­ Must­ Have­ a­ Nebraska­ License?

  • Any Nebraska resident who operates a motor vehicle on the streets and highways of Nebraska must have a license.
  • Any new resident with a valid license from another state must obtain a Nebraska license within 30 days.

When applying for your initial Class O Driver's License you must bring the following documentation to the DMV: 

  1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Status, containing Name and Date of Birth, and Identity.

  2. Principal Address in Nebraska (at least two documents are required).

  3. Applicants must disclose their valid social security number which can be verified through the Social Security Administration or show proof of exemption from the requirement by presenting a valid, unexpired Record of Arrival and Departure in a valid foreign passport (I-94 or I-94A).


See Renewals if you are renewing your Class O License.

Minimum Age



All applicants for a Class O license that fail three successive drive tests will not be eligible to reapply until they:

  • Show proof of successful completion of a DMV approved driver training course that includes at least six hours of classroom and six hours behind the wheel training, or
  • Have held a LPD for at least 90 days.

Individuals under 18:

Individuals over 18:

  • Who holds a Provisional Operator's Permit (POP) and waits until they are between 18-21 years of age to apply for an operator’s license, the written and drive tests will be waived. These individuals are eligible to obtain the license online or by applying at any driver licensing office.
  • Applying for a first time license, who have never held a Provisional Operator's Permit (POP) are required to take vision, written and drive tests. Written test will be waived for individuals who have been issued a learner’s permit (LPD) that is valid or expired for no more than one year.
  • If a person is unable to surrender the out-of-state License or the license is more than a year expired both written and driving tests are required. Only the written test is required when the license is less than a year expired.

Sample Operator's License


Sample Operator's License Minor


Driver License Barcode Calibration

 Driver License Brochure


  • A moped is defined as a bicycle with fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, an automatic transmission and a motor not exceeding 50 ccs that produces no more than two brake horsepower at a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.
  • A Class O license is required to operate a moped on public roadways.


An autocycle means any motor vehicle:

  1. Having a seat that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride it,
  2. Designed to travel on three wheels in contact with the ground,
  3. In which the operator and passenger ride either side by side or in tandem in a seating area that is completely enclosed with a removable or fixed top and is equipped with manufacturer-installed air bags, a manufacturer-installed roll cage, and for each occupant a manufacturer-installed three-point safety belt system,
  4. Having antilock brakes, and
  5. Designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals.

A Class O license is required to operate an autocycle on public roadways.

A drive test cannot be administered in an autocycle for a permit or Class O license.


An ATV (All-Terrain Vehicle) means any motorized off-highway device which:

  1. is fifty inches or less in width, 5
  2. has a dry weight of twelve hundred pounds or less, \
  3. travels on three or more nonhighway tires, and
  4. is designed for operator use only with no passengers or is specifically designed by the original manufacturer for the operator and one passenger

A UTV (Utility-Terrain Vehicle) means any motorized off-highway device which:

  1. is seventy-four inches in width or less,
  2. is not more than one hundred eighty inches, including the bumper, in length,
  3. has a dry weight of two thousand pounds or less, and
  4. travels on four or more nonhighway tires

An ATV (All-Terrain Vehicle)/UTV (Utility-Terrain Vehicle) may be used on public roadways if:

  • Outside the corporate limits of a city, village or unincorporated village if incidental to the vehicle’s use for agricultural purpose;
  • Within the corporate limits of a city or village if authorized by the city or village by ordinance; or,
  • Within an unincorporated village if authorized by the county board by resolution;

Any authorized ATV/UTV operation on public roadways must occur only between sunrise and sunset at speeds lower than 30 mph and not on a controlled access highway with more than two marked traffic lanes. The operator must have liability insurance coverage.

Crossing a highway, other than a controlled access highway with more than two marked traffic lanes, may occur only if:

  • The crossing is made at an angle of approximately 90 degrees and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing;
  • The ATV/UTV is brought to a complete stop before crossing the shoulder or roadway of the highway;
  • The operator yields to the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic;
  • If crossing a divided highway, the crossing is made only at an intersection; and,
  • Both the headlight and taillight of the vehicle are on.

Crossing a controlled-access highway with more than two marked lanes may occur if:

  • The crossing is made at an intersection controlled by a traffic signal or if outside the city limits controlled by stop signs;
  • The crossing is made in compliance with the traffic signal or stop signs;
  • The intersection is located within the corporate limits of a city or village and such crossing is authorized by ordinance;
  • The intersection is located within an unincorporated village and such crossing is authoried by a county board resolution;
  • The intersection is located outside the corporate limits of a city or village and outside any unincorporated village and authorized by a county board resolution

A farm permit or Class O license is required to operate an ATV/UTV on public roadways.


Operator's License (Class O) Fees

Type of Document Fee Security Surcharge Total
Valid for 5 years $24.00 $5.00 $29.00
Valid for more than 3 years but not more than 4 years* $19.00 $5.00 $24.00
Valid for more than 2 years but not more than 3 years* $14.00 $5.00 $19.00
Valid for more than 1 year but not more than 2 years* $10.00 $5.00 $15.00
Valid for 1 year or less* $5.00 $5.00 $10.00
Bioptic or telescopic lens restriction:
Valid for more than 1 year but not more than 2 years $10.00 $5.00 $15.00
Valid for 1 year or less $5.00 $5.00 $10.00
Replacement $11.00 $5.00 $16.00
Change of class, endorsement or restriction $5.00 $5.00 $10.00

*Licenses, permits and state identification cards must be issued for a full 5 year period unless:

  • license, permit or ID card was issued to an individual who is not yet 21 years of age, but will be 21 years of age less than 5 years from the date of issuance resulting in the license, permit or ID card being valid for less than the full 5 year period;
  • license or permit has a bioptic or telescoptic restriction (renewal is required yearly);
  • CDL holder with Hazardous Material endorsement (expiration date is based on date of Security Threat Assessment);
  • the applicant is presenting a USCIS document (the expiration of the Nebraska document will be tied to the expiration date of the USCIS document);